Skip to main content Skip to footer

Learn About the Complaint Process

We take all complaints seriously.

The complaints process for Police Boards and Service Members is defined under Section 5 of the Police Services Act.

Please review the information below on how to submit a complaint related to a member of the Board or the conduct, policies or services of the Hamilton Police Service.

Everyone has the right to make a formal complaint through the Office of the Independent Review Director (OIRPD); however, there may be an opportunity for you to resolve your concern(s) through an informal process should you wish to do so. Please contact the Administrative Director for more information.

The Board is accountable to both the community and to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC).

You can file a complaint about the Board or Board members with the Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC).

Ontario Civilian Police Commission
15 Grosvenor Street, Ground Floor
Toronto, ON   M7A 2G6



Toll free:


Toll free TTY:


Complaints related to policing in Ontario are legislated through the Ontario Police Services Act, RSO 1990, c P.15.

Any member of the public may make a complaint to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) about:

Complaints about the behaviour of a police officer.

Complaints about the rules and standards of a police service that guide how an officer delivers police services.

Complaints related to how effectively and efficiently a particular service performs its duties.

There are three ways to make a complaint about police.
  1. Conversation

A complainant can go into a police station and have a conversation to clear up a question or complaint. You may also wish to contact the Board Administrator to discuss whether or not your concern may be reviewed by the Office of the Chief of Police. 

  1. Local Resolution

A Local Resolution allows the police to solve, explain, clear up or settle a matter considered to be “less serious” directly with the complainant. The complaint must be dealt with in person at a police station by a senior officer designated by the police chief within 30 days of the incident.

  1. Formal OIPRD Complaint

In order to make a complaint to the OIPRD, you must use an OIPRD complaint form available in hardcopy, PDF or online via their website:

If you would like to have a copy of the OIPRD ‘Making a Complaint about Police’ guide booklet with detachable complaint form mailed to you, please contact their office.

Toll-free phone: 1-877-411-4773
Local phone: 416-246-7071
TTY: 1-877-414-4773
Toll-free fax: 1-877-415-4773
Local Fax: 416-327-8332

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.